Whew! It’s been a while since I uploaded any new Perler bead projects. But I’ve got six new ones to show off today, so I guess that makes up for it.
The first three are main characters from Suikoden II, an RPG for the PS1. Personally, I’ve never played it before. One of my favorite YouTubers, Lucahjin, did a let’s play of it last year. I was kind of indifferent to it at first, but after rewatching/listening to it this past summer, I got more into it. This was around the time I first started making Perler bead art, too. After making NES and SNES sprites, I wanted to see how sprites from the PS1 would look, so I tried these guys out.
I made these a little over a month ago and decided to send them to Lucahjin as fan mail. Admittedly, part of the reason why I didn’t post these until now was because I wanted to send them out first, and I didn’t ship them out until a couple of days ago. Oops. Hope she likes them!
So after I made these, we sold our kitchen table because we weren’t taking it with us when we moved. I didn’t have a good space to work on any more Perler bead stuff until a couple of weeks ago. I was going to start making the Dragonball Z project I told my friend I’d make him, but since it had been a while since I’d worked on anything, I wanted to warm up with something small first. I decided to make a Pokemon from Red and Blue.
Snorlax was my favorite Pokemon when I was a kid. I honestly don’t know why, maybe because it made a cool plushie and toy, maybe because it was rare and it took me a while to figure out how to catch one, who knows? I used to have this big Snorlax pillow-plushie thing, too, but I gave it away to a friend that moved because at the time she liked it more than I did. It’s still one of my favorites, but I don’t know if it’s the favorite.
This thing wasn’t a small warmup, though. This thing was huge. In retrospect, I don’t know why I was expecting it to be small; I knew it was probably going to be almost as tall as the protagonist, rival, and Prof. Oak pieces I made a little while ago. But I’m still surprised how big these sprites came out for Game Boy sprites.
It also had a lot of trouble sticking together after ironing. Like, a lot of trouble. I don’t know if you can notice from the photo, but some parts are over-ironed while others aren’t ironed enough. I eventually just tried taking the small chunks of half-fused beads and ironing them to the proper places instead of ironing the whole thing over and over. And I keep looking for tips for ironing bigger Perler bead pieces, but I can’t find anything besides variations of the basic instructions for normal sized projects. Does anyone have any ironing advice for bigger pieces? I’m still kind of new and would love to know a better way to tackle this.
While waiting for Snorlax to cool in between ironing sessions, I made Ramza from Final Fantasy Tactics.
Final Fantasy Tactics was one of my favorite games in high school. Poor translation aside, I had a blast playing it with one of my friends. During our junior year we played through it at the same times and compared notes to see how each of us was approaching the game and what kind of characters we were using. The music was phenomenal; it was completely orchestrated and in my opinion, outshines every other Final Fantasy game I’ve played in the audio department. That’s not to say the others games have bad music, absolutely not, but this game… well, this game’s soundtrack just does something magical to me. Even though I’ve lost a lot of interest in playing RPGs over the years, I recently played through this one for the first time in at least six years and am proud to say it’s still fun for me.
Last up is another Pokemon. After working on Snorlax, I noticed that bigger pieces without a lot of limbs or other, smaller areas protruding out tend to take more time and heat to fuse properly. I wanted to pick another Pokemon that was roundish in its basic shape, so I chose another favorite, Clefairy.
I don’t really know why, but over the years I’ve noticed my favorite Pokemon tend to be normal types. A lot of these tend to be really cutesie, too. Whatever the reason, Clefairy and its evolution Clefable have joined my list of favorites during the past couple of years. This was smaller than Snorlax, about half the size, and I didn’t have nearly as much trouble. There were still some pieces that wouldn’t fuse, but that was normal; nothing to the degree of Snorlax. I didn’t really do anything different, except maybe use a little less force while ironing so the colors wouldn’t bleed. I don’t know why I had an easier time with Clefairy, it may have been half the size but it was still decently large. Is it because of the colors? Do darker beads give more trouble for people? I’ll have to keep an eye out for that during future problems.
Well it’s good to be back doing Perler bead stuff! I’m settling into the new house, but there’s still a lot left to unpack. I have some writing things I want to get done soon (including stuff I’ve been working on for the blog), and I’m expecting my hours at work to pick up with the holiday season breathing down my neck, not to mention I’m scrambling to finish up my reading goal for the year (25 out of 30 books, it’s gonna be close!), so I don’t know how much attention my Perler bead projects will get. I’d like to make at least one thing each week, but we’ll see. I’ll probably post some more once I have a few ready to show off. I can’t stress enough how helpful this has been for dealing with depression, so give it a shot if you need something to take your mind of things!
Hope everyone’s having a healthy week! 🙂